The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) supports low- and middle-income students pursuing eligible high demand majors in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care and encourages recipients to work in Washington state once they complete their degrees.
WSOS scholarship will be made available to new students who will be first-year college students, sophomores or juniors fall of the 2014-15 academic year. These students will receive $1,000 renewable scholarship each year, provided they continue to meet the renewal criteria.
When students achieve junior class standing, they can apply to increase their scholarship to $5,000 per year.
The application will be open from January 6 – February 24, 2014.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a Washington state resident (as defined in RCW 28B.15.012)
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED from a Washington state high school or institution by June 2014.
- Must be enrolling in an eligible Washington state college or university fall term 2014.
- Must be pursuing an eligible high-demand major (by alphabet; by category) in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) or health care.
- Must be working toward a first bachelor’s degree, (i.e. four-year degree).
Please note: If you will be a second term junior or college senior in fall 2014 you are not eligible.
- Must be enrolling as a first-year college student, as a sophomore or as a first term junior fall 2014.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) through fall quarter or semester 2013 of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Must submit the 2014-15 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) atwww.fafsa.gov by February 24, 2014.
- Must apply for Federal Education tax credits if eligible.
- Must have a family income (adjusted gross income plus all untaxed income) less than or equal to 125% of Washington state median family income. (Note: Unless you qualified to submit the FAFSA as an independent student, the family income amounts are those reported by your parent(s) on your 2014-2015 FAFSA).
The application must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. PST on Monday February 24, 2014.
Transcripts must be postmarked by Monday, February 24, 2014. View additional deadlines.